Stunning Living Room Wall Decor Ideas

Wall decor is one of the key essentials for creating the living room of your dreams! Choosing the right wall decor accessories for your living room can help create a warm, inviting atmosphere that reflects your personal style. You can go with a subtle look with an artwork of neutral tones or go big and bold with shelves filled with curiosities of many shades, materials and sizes. This list provides five modern living wall decor ideas to make you feel like your living room is yours.

And after we’ve looked at those decor ideas, we’ll also talk a bit about some Do’s and Don’ts to ensure your living room looks its best. Remember, the key to successful wall decor is to choose pieces that reflect your personal style and complement your existing furniture and decor.

Explore Exciting Living Room Wall Decor Ideas

1. Sculptural Wall Art Decor Ideas

A well-placed piece of artwork can make a bold statement and tie the room together. Consider a large canvas print or a gallery wall of smaller pieces.

Spruce up your living area with fascinating sculptural artifacts that add depth and intrigue to the space. Allow your particular style to show through, from neutral tones to vibrant splashes of colour.

Featured Guide: Top 10 Home Decor Styling Themes in New Zealand Right Now

2. Abstract Wall Decor Ideas

Add magnificent abstract artwork that compliments your textiles. Keep things basic and stylish – it’s always a good decision!

3. Decorative Mirrors for Wall Decor

Mirrors are a simple method to add depth and light to a space while also giving the appearance of more space. One huge mirror or several little ones can be hung to make a unique statement wall. 

If you have a small living room, opt for a round-edged mirror to add interest and break up the room’s straight lines. Adding decorative mirrors is the perfect way to make your space feel bigger and more beautiful!

Products to feature:

4. Make A Plant Wall

A vertical plant wall will bring the outdoors inside and give your home colour, texture, and vitality.

Select from terrariums or indoor planters in various forms, sizes and metals for a stunning look.  

Products to feature:

5. Create a Gallery Wall of Decor Items

Stylish bookshelves will beautify the walls of your living area! Feature a variety of products like bookends, home decorative ornaments and vases to create a stunning visual effect.

Now that you’ve gotten inspiration for your living room wall decor, here are some simple Dos and Don’ts to ensure your home looks stunning.

Living Room Wall Decor Basics

3 Important Wall Decor Rules

While it’s  important to have fun with your wall decor, there are a few guidelines you should follow:

1. Choose the Right Position

Place your wall decor on the wall closest to your sofa or couch or the one that faces the front door for an eye-catching display. However, it’s preferable to leave that wall bare if it already has a TV or another focal point. 

2. Follow the Odd Number Rule

The odd number rule, a straightforward yet useful design principle, can enhance the beauty of the walls in your living room. Always remember to keep to odd numbers while decorating to make your wall the focal point.

Instead of using two, four, or six items, choose three, five, or even one enormous frame.

The human eye is drawn to objects grouped in odd numbers. So, abide by this guideline to give your property a touch of elegance.

3. Maintain A 60-40 Ratio

This holds true even if you hang art behind your sofa. Choose a painting size that is 60% the width of your sofa for the most aesthetic appeal. Let your walls speak for themselves without being too loud.

Don’t overcrowd your walls with decor items when adding attractiveness. Use the 60/40 ratio to establish balance by decorating 60% of your wall and leaving 40% blank.

Don’t Miss: 7 Cozy and Simple Home Decor Ideas for NZ: Transform Your Home On A Budget

Decorating According To Wall Types

How to decorate a brick wall in the living room

Add wooden accessories like picture frames, shelves, ladders, headboards, and side tables to a brick wall to bring forth its natural beauty.

The wood’s remarkable contrast with the brick is enhanced by its darker shade. Create a cosy, rustic atmosphere in your room by bringing the outside in.

Products to Feature:

How to decorate white walls in the living room

Transform your walls with effortless vibrancy by adding a bold, captivating splashy painting as the centrepiece of your room. Enhance the aura further with complementing, brightly-coloured lamps that frame the masterpiece.

Products to feature:

We hope these tips and products have given you the confidence to make your living room walls as stunning as ever! Visit our website for more fantastic wall decor items for every space in your home.  Good luck!